Update-ModuleManifest is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet – Error in Azure Automation

I had this issue with a recurring script I’m running in Azure Automation. The script relies on the ExchangeOnlineV3 module to connect to Exchange Online using an app registration.

The script scheduled to run on a daily basis ran fine for a few weeks until it suddenly started failing on February 17th.

The exception shown in Azure Automation was:

The term ‘Update-ModuleManifest’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

Since the cmdlet is not part of the script I assume it’s called in the ExchangeOnlineV3 module (or possibly one of the other available modules).

By searching for the cmdlet in the module gallery within Azure Automation I found that the cmdlet is a part of the module PowerShellGet that I did not have installed. This module has a dependency to the module PackageManagement.

After installing both modules the script once again started to work.

4 thoughts on “Update-ModuleManifest is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet – Error in Azure Automation”

  1. Thank you for that little nugget of information! I confirm those two additional modules are required.

    Thanks for posting!

  2. Mate you just saved me a couple of hours I’m sure… yours is the only post that comes up when searching on the error! I’ve been trying to use a system MI and the module conflicts etc. that can occur in the automation account required some serious hoop-jumping. This was the final error I encountered and now it’s working so huge respect to you, fellow blogger!! =)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *